I have been out of school for two whole weeks now and normally would have plunged into sewing, but this year there were a few things that needed my time, attention and focus. They ranged from washing machines making puddles on the wood floor in my kitchen, a water heater also making a puddle but at least in the basement, shower faucets and toilet cut off valves, as well as a family medical emergency. But, yesterday, things had settled down so that I could sew. And sew I did. I have lots of WIPs scattered around, but I decided to get going on my “commitment sewing.” I know that the terms does not sound too good, but I do take commitments seriously. For a recent guild swap I was surprised, and a bit dismayed, at how many people did not mail for the swap on time. In any event, these commitments are only blocks and not completed objects, so they would be good to complete. These blocks also require pulling out lots of fabric from the boxes that I use for storing my stash, so I might as well make a big mess all at once, and then clean up.
This year DCMQG started its first bee and kept it short and small…6 members and 6 months. I started it off with Wonky stars in May – I will post about those soon. Anna challenged me to something new in June…I don’t know the name of these blocks, but they makes me think of birch trees. I have great fondness for birch trees probably because there was one in the front yard where I grew up. By looking at them you can see why I had to dive deep into my stash!
Just last night Rebecca – queen bee for July – posted what she wanted, so I got right on that this morning. She asked for Dutchman’s Puzzle and linked to a suggested way to make 4 geese at once. I messed up the quilty math, fortunately making them too large and not too small, so I had a bit of trimming to do. Perhaps that was good because I trimmed carefully so that each segment really was the size that it was supposed to be. I will probably make her a second block because it will give me a chance to get the math correct, but here is the first block.
Intermingled with working on those blocks, I worked on the blocks for the Heal Circle @do.Good.Stitches. June’s blocks were easy log cabins using wide-ish strips and light solid outside rings.
Finally, a while ago Nicke chose black and white Roman Crosses for our Heal Circle blocks. Look at how absolutely stunning they are when put together…picture taken from xxNicke’s Instagram feed.
She needed a few more blocks to make it a better size, so I said that I could do two more when school was out, and bam, they are done…and even already in the mail!
So, I am up-to-date on my bees and can clean up my work space, tackle some of my other projects, and mess it up again. It just feels so good to sew again and it is amazing to me how much I can get done in just 24 hours!