Another Block of the Month program? Well, yes. The MQG has lots of quilt blocks archived on their site. Each modern block has not only instructions to make the block, but lots of different ways that the block could be used. My guild draws on these blocks for a monthly block challenge. Last year I decided that I would make each month’s block into a charity quilt for Comfort Cases. If you are not familiar with them, then please check them out for the great work that they do supporting youth in foster care. It also doesn’t hurt that they are not far from me, so easy to drop off quilts. Actually, recently I became an impromptu collection point for guild members to bring their quilts and within a few days I had 51 quilts that I dropped off at Comfort Cases. Not bad, eh? Although there are floods in the South and wildfires in the West, unfortunately there will also always be kids entering foster care.
Sparrow by Heather Black of the Northwest MQG was the first block that I turned into a quilt. I quilted it using a wiggle stitch on my domestic machine.
Boomerang block by Mitzie Schafer of Greensville MQG was the basis of the next quilt.
One of my guild mates, Ann L, saw some of the tops that I had pieced and volunteered to longarm them for me. That was an enormous help to me and greatly sped up getting some of these quilts done so that they could be donated. I have close-ups of some of those tops.
Next up was Cogs by Yvonne Fuchs. Check out the quilting that Ann did on this one!
On to Mod Z by Lori Miller of Detroit Area MQG, also quilted by Ann.
This one is a sized up Crisscross Applesauce block by Rebecca Severt of Baltimore MQG. Quilted with diagonal lines with my trusty walking foot for the win!
And one more that is not from the block study group, but that went to Comfort Cases as well. This is a block called Arkansas Traveller from the very first Summer Sampler Series hosted by Katie Blakesley, Faith Jones and Lee Heinrich. I made the full quilt and then used the free pattern for a solids only bee one summer – note that it is not a great bee block as it required folks to print it out the proper size and then is a bit trickier than most bee blocks. I made a giant block to round this out and quilted with wiggly lines.
I have six or so more blocks that need to be made into quilts. They sit in my sewing area and surface very sew often. Stay tuned!